Yesterday at about 6:20 PM our power went out for NO reason (well, I'm SURE there was a reason, but a reason unknown to ME). I waited 5 minutes, hoping/KNOWING that it would HAVE to flicker back on since there were NO storms in our immediate area. And then, I got a little huffy. You see, I had food in the oven as it was prime dinner time. I'm sure there were many in our neighborhood who were in the same boat as me.
Luke was SO excited about dinner last night because he was going to be grilling his recently acquired dove. Me, I'm not so much of a fan--unless I have side dishes to fill me up. I can eat 3, and then I realize I'm eating something abnormal and it makes my stomach turn. I'm pretty sure 3 is my limit, so sides are a necessity, as these birds don't have much meat on them. The dove breasts is stuffed with 1/2 a de-seeded jalapeno, wrapped in pepper bacon and marinated in italian dressing. *I do have to say the dove turned out nicely. I had Luke cook mine with the jalapeno seeds included and think I found a new liking--i'm definitely not saying "love" for dove--but I could probably eat 4 if my jalapenos have seeds. :)
I was ALSO frustrated because 2 of the sides were going to be Makena's dinner (mac and cheese and green beans). I knew I was going to have to improvise and quickly because my growing baby was showing signs of hunger.
Instead of being mad at the situation, Luke turned my frown upside down and made me smile. He's so good to me. :) He reminded me to LAUGH and make the best of it, and that we could make it a memorable experience. I love him. He offered to cook it all on the grill. OH HOW I WISH I WOULD'VE GOTTEN A PICTURE. We are country bumpkin's at heart (especially my Luke). :)
He cooked the green beans in their tin can, and the mac and cheese--boiled it in a pot over the open flames and made it perfectly. And Makena? (because the previously mentioned take a tad longer on the grill and she was not willing to wait). She ate cereal and yogurt and some non-heated carrots for dinner, and I don't think she minded a bit. She might have even liked her breakfast for dinner.
As we were waiting for our feast to be ready (and cooked thoroughly). We opened every blind in the house to use what little sunlight was remaining, and got our candles ready for a night in the dark. Makena also took her first bath in the dark with the help of a (very redneck) hat that has a flashlight in the visor. I think it might have even been FUN for her. :) ...or maybe confusing?
Either way, it turned out to be a night I'll never forget (too bad I don't have pictures to prove it). It's the little things in life that can make you smile. (I'm secretly hoping it'll happen again so I can document it with some pictures).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
That is such a great memory now! Instead of a bad one.. lol.
how romantical!! okay when u say eat 3 or 4...are u talkin FULL DOVE? that's gross. ur eating 3 or 4 birdS? i don't like that at all. not because i'm against eating animals but like birds? i dunno...i'm grossed out.
Our power went out a few months ago and it turned out to be one of the most relaxing night we've had in, I could honestly say, years. Glad you made the best of it. :)
yeah.. i can see what you mean about side dishes.. i don't think i could eat too many of those either... and for the exACT same reasons. and how FUN! i'm kinda jealous.. i always like the challege of the lights going out and figuring out something fun to do. awesome!
HEY!! Okay so I feel like I already know you ha! I hear about Luke all the time from Travis :) I think it's about time we meet! I've added you to my list of blogs to follow! Can't wait to meet officially!
LOL....what a great memory that you will NEVER forget. Yea, too bad you couldn't take pictures but the visual is hilarious. Aren't you glad for the "redneck" flashlight, never know when that will come in handy!! Wouldn't you love to know what Makena was thinking during her bath? ha.
Post a Comment