Wednesday, October 14, 2009

My Little Girl is ONE!

Makena's VERY 1st cake.
So..I'm a little behind on the blogging, and I'm blaming it on the weather. It's been gross and depressing lately--but right now the sun is shining in my office window and it makes me happy!! :)

I didn't want to face the reality of my little girls birthday. I can't believe it's already been a YEAR!! It was such a bittersweet time! My little baby isn't a newborn any more, but she's into so many fun things that I can't really complain. :) I love all of the new stages!

Makena's dr wasn't available for her 1 yr check up until next week, so I don't know all of her "stats", but she's my growing girl.

She LOVES to read books. Pat the Bunny is her favorite (she loves "touch and feel" books)...but we've started reading books about Toes, Ears, and Noses (lift-the-flap books). Often times, I'll find her in her room all by herself reading books and entertaining herself. She babbles words as she turns the pages...and my FAVORITE is when she reads herself "Pat the Bunny" because there's a page that says "Paul can smell the flowers, now YOU smell the flowers" and every time she gets to that page, she gets really animated and puts the book up to her face and breathes really hard, then turns around to see if I'm watching her to laugh at her silly self.

If I say, "Makena, where's mommy's ear?" She comes over and sticks her finger in my ear and waits for me to say "where's mommy's OTHER ear?" and turns my face with her precious hand and sticks her finger in my OTHER ear. She can also find her own ears. If I say where's your tongue? She sticks it out. TODAY she learned where her foot is. She claps her hands, and has recently started clapping them to music. She dances, and ESPECIALLY loves the song "Gold Digger"...but the edited version, of course...and "Single Ladies" and pretty much anything from the Black-Eyed Peas. She's running and trying to keep her balance while doing so. She LOVES to blow her lips. I KNOW she's trying to say words to me, but right now, I can't really make out what she's saying most of the time....and she HAS to be frustrated because I'll say, "what did you say?" and she repeats the EXACT same thing, over and over...

One thing i KNOW she's saying is...she'll point at random objects (usually the same things over and over again) and says "Dat?" (that?).

She knows a lot of words, and it's so fun to realize she's such a sponge and is soaking everything in! She knows words like, baby (day-dee), book (dook), deer (dea)...as you can see "d's" are her favorite right now. She recognizes several words, a few of them are: bottle, drink, bear, dogs (and knows their names!), paci, bath, "do you want to eat?", "are you hungry?". She LOVES to give hugs, and gives THE BEST HUGS EVER. It was such a rewarding day when she started that!!

She has 8 teeth, and is doing really well eating. She loves to take big bites and scare the poo out of mommy and swallow things whole. However, she's getting MUCH better about learning to bite food with her front teeth when the food object is too big to shove in her mouth.

Here are some pics of her birthday party. She was my little princess. I made her tutu and shirt...and felt very crafty. :) (and economical b/c I spent less than $10!) :)

Makena and Daddy. We love this man very much. Doesn't Makena look HUGE now?


Realizing she's wearing a hat...but she ended up keeping it on for the majority of the party.
Lovin' that silly baby doll.


Makena's very OWN first cake, that I bought, that I could've made myself b/c of how crappy it was. But, at least it was one less thing to stress about. :)

25 people singing happy birthday to her was a little overwhelming, but she made it through without a tear...

...she just needed a little encouragement from her momma.

And she's OFF.


As you can see, she LOVED her cake.
The damage done.
Mommy cleaning the 1 year old up.


Happy Birthday 'Kena Leigh! I love you so much! It's such a joy to be your Mommy. You're learning so fast! I LOVE learning with you! Your such a good girl! I can't wait to watch you grow...but slow down, ok? It's happening TOO fast!
...(I didn't officially let her turn 1 until October 7th at 6:10pm and we celebrated by going bowling. I'll post those pics later.)

7 comments:

Our life with 2 P's said...

Oh my goodness! She is too sweet! And such a big girl being 1 and all!! It's so sad how fast the baby stage goes by....but being 1 is SO much fun!! Happy Birthday Makena!!!

Crystal Corona said...

OH MY GOSH! 1 YEAR!? Its gone by so fast! I still remember reading your blog about your birth!!! I know I have said it before.. but I will never forget it! That and your list straws and drinking fountains. If I happen to think about that one I cant drink out of a fountain for a while. What do you think about Dust Mites?!

So happy to see your post today. Glad she had a happy 1st Birthday too! You look great!

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful family! I can't believe she's already 1. Time flies.

Ashley said...

Raschel she is absolutely adorable! Happy Birthday Miss Makena! :)

Lindsay said...

wow... can you believe it... just think.. this time last year you gave BIRTH. ugh.. aren't you glad THAT'S over with. me too. i know what you mean... lucas is already 8 months! what the crap? it IS happening way too fast.. but it's fun to see them learn so much. She just keeps getting prettier.... just like her mommy. :) i miss you! 2 years left and then we can be friends for real!!!

Jesse said...

Hi Raschel!

Of course, I remember you. I'm so glad you posted on my blog so I can "catch up" with you through your blog! Your family looks super sweet, and your daughter is cute as can be. The first birthday party looked like a lot of fun and I loved reading all the cute things Makena says and done at this stage. You will appreciate those records later on!

Great to find you through the Internet!

Mimi said...

So glad you can be home to enjoy the moments and make special memories. Seems like just a couple of months ago that you were calling on your way to the hospital. What a precious angel and family! Love you.