When Makena was about a year old, I noticed that she was clinching her right fist a LOT. She LOVED to pick up dog food (and eat it), so usually, I'd go searching her clinched fist and find a few pebbles of food she planned to snack on. However, soon, I found that I was no longer finding food, and just an empty hand. The fist clinching bothered me, but I just figured it was a phase. I decided to sit down with her one day and show her how to open her hand up wide, teaching her how to stretch each individual finger. To my surprise, her thumb only moved part of the way out. It seemed to stay locked. I tried again and she looked up at me with her mouth opened wide seeming to mouth the word "owww!" My butt clinched. I hurt her!! A few weeks prior to this, as she was continuing to learn to walk, Makena had fallen and hurt herself. I didn't see what had actually happened, but I knew she was hurt by the way she was crying, so my mind went back to that day. I felt like the WORST mother of all time. It looked like she had broken her thumb and it had grown back and fused together in an improper way. I cringed again thinking about having to ask her pediatrician about it and the possibility of having to rebreak her thumb again. Fortunately, she was scheduled to go in for her well baby check up and I decided that if she'd lived with a broken thumb for this long, a couple of days weren't going to hurt her.
At the end of the check up, I worked up the courage to ask his opinion on her thumb, preparing myself for what might have to happen. Almost immediately, he said, "You know what that looks like? It looks like trigger thumb. Since I'm not a hand specialist, I'm going to refer you to the Scottish Rite Hospital to an orthopedic surgeon." His grandson had trigger thumb when he was a baby, and had surgery to correct the problem and has been fine ever since. He asked me when I first noticed it (which again made me feel like a failure since I had JUST noticed it), and I told him the truth. Luckily, it wasn't a bad response. He said for some reason, even though most think it's a congenital condition (meaning she was most likely born with it) it doesn't show up until about a year of age...and it could be because that's when their motor skills become more refined and they're using their hands more often. I did feel a little guilt, wondering if there was something I could've done differently to have prevented it, but I think I've gotten over that hurdle now.
I was a little freaked by the idea of my little baby having to have surgery. Though I hated the thought of it, we are SO fortunate to have been referred to the Texas Scottish Rite Hospital. They are AMAZING! ALL services provided (INCLUDING SURGERY, as long as it is performed there) is FREE! (Of course they rely on support from the community, but this day in age, it seems nothing is free!) That, in and of it self is a blessing. When we had our first appointment there to "diagnose" the condition, every one was so accommodating! They work only with children, and it really shows! They know how to handle a worried Momma that has a million questions, and even a toddler who is a little wary of strangers and that wants to be in her Momma's arms. We got in and out of that hospital faster than I normally do when I take her to the pediatrician's office. I can't sing their praises enough.
This Wednesday, March 3rd, we ask for your thoughts and prayers as Makena undergoes surgery to correct her Trigger Thumb. You can read about the condition here. Even though the condition could possibly correct itself, it doesn't normally happen, and more damage could be done from the tendons being stretched from "normal" movement of a locked thumb. I feel it's best to have the surgery now. It's the perfect time of year for a cast, since it's not hot yet. And, getting it over with before she's old enough to remember specific details makes me happy too.
It is a very common procedure and we feel very confident in the surgeon’s knowledge of it. Luckily, we both get to stay with Makena until they have to wheel her back for the anesthesia and they’ll come get us as soon as she is stable in recovery so that we can be there as she wakes up. Fortunately, we’ll only be without her for about 20-30 minutes! Since the surgery will be at the Scottish Rite Hospital where they work only on children, we feel confident that the anesthesiologists are well prepared for a young toddler. And, since Makena is so young, she will be one of the first (if not THE first) patients to have surgery for the day (so I won’t have to keep her without food for too long!). She will remain in a soft cast for about 1-2 weeks, and once it’s removed, her thumb should be back to normal! YAY!
Thanks for your thoughts and prayers!! I'll post once it's over and we're home recovering!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
We will be praying for sweet Makena!!! And you too Momma!
We will be praying for Makena and Mom and Dad! : )
Praying, praying for sweet baby girl and a worried Mommy & Daddy :) Give her hugs!! I know she'll do great!! I think she's just showing you and Luke that Gig'em isn't for her :) HA!!
tell little Makena that we will say an extra prayer for her tonight before bed and when we get up in the morning!!! <3
Saying a prayer! I'm sure she will be fine!
Praying for all of you today.
OH my gosh! I must have missed this post, so I saw the one you just posted today first! I am so glad she is all better. I just got Romans 4 month shots today and that was so hard to watch him cry! I cant imagine how you felt.
Post a Comment