Tuesday, June 8, 2010

When Daddy's are in Charge...

Sometimes bad things happen. :)

This is NOT to make Luke feel bad because I already know he felt awful. It was more of a learning experience. ha! (And Lord knows I've had my own share of "learning experiences" as well!)

Luke was smoking some meat one weekend. I decided to run to the grocery store sans child to grab a few items quickly. When I returned I found a happy daddy and a happy (naked) baby playing in her swimming pool and sliding down her slide.

However, 30 minutes prior to this was a different story. I'd left them playing outside, and was constantly reminding Makena to stay away from the grill because "it's hot and it will hurt you". Makena's new "thing" right now is to put on every one else's shoes, then walks around in the newly acquired kicks very proud of herself for the accomplishment. Daddy decided to kick off his flip-flops right under the smoke box of the grill, and Makena saw this as an opportunity. Trying to get to the shoes, she fell into the smoke box burning her arm. Luke didn't call to tell me about it (while I was AT a location to get some kind of products for it) because he was afraid "you'd freak out and kill yourself to get home" (which I most likely might have done).

The first thing he said when I walked outside to the happy pair was "do you see the burn on her arm?" (I'm assuming it's a slide burn because that's what she was doing at the time). Upon further investigation, my stomach began to turn. I KNOW it's not the first time she's gotten hurt and it DEFINITELY won't be the last, but I could just FEEL the pain. I HATE being burned, and this was a good one. However, it was obviously not phasing her...she came and gave me a hug and went right back to playing. Children are resilient.

Being that I did not have any kind of bandage for a burn of this magnitude--it really wasn't THAT bad, but bigger than the size band aid I had--we made do:
(yes that is a panty liner, makena found it humorous as well--don't mind her messy face)

I happened to run into a firefighter friend of ours a few days later and he gave me a miracle prescription cream that works wonders! I don't think she'll have a scar now! WOOHOO!

I'm thinking Makena learned her lesson as well. Now when we tell her something is hot, she pays very close attention! Life's a dance, you learn as you go!

Makena's an outdoorsy girl. One Saturday morning when she got up, and as I was cooking breakfast, she kept saying "Wanna go?! Huh? Huh?!" And headed to the back door. I decided to oblige her and let her run around outside (in our back yard), alone. It's gotten a little tricky though b/c she's figured out how to climb UP the slide, and Makena is still pretty wobbly on her feet, especially to do with climbing. So, to prevent any broken extremities, I told her she couldn't climb it until I got out there with her. This is how we found her, politely minding her parents, just chillin', waiting like the patient girl she can be:



If that doesn't make you want to hug her, or most especially play with her, I don't know what DOES! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

<3 So sweet! I mean she's so precious. I just want to give her a big ol hug! :D