
Only because you gave me the idea...and it's not an addiction. There's an art to it.
At the end of every night, restaurants fill their salt and pepper shakers up to the brim. I've heard it is to discourage over use of them, because when they are packed full, it's much harder to have success while shaking. Especially with pepper. The particles are much thicker than a grain of salt. Therefore, I get around this little obstacle by removing the pepper lid and pouring it on my salads (sometimes a little more comes out than what I plan on, but i love it).
I especially love fresh cracked pepper. I think because the particles are so much larger and not as 'dusty' as in a shaker. However, I always let the waiters stop twisting really soon, usually after 2 rotations, because it looks extremely painful to turn the large knobs on them. So, after the waiter has walked away, I dust the rest of the salad. (I'm the same way about Parmesan cheese, the fresh grated is the best, but it seems like so much work, so I usually allow them to stop after a few rotations and just use the powdery kind that's on the table).
EVEN if it is a slight addiction...look at these health benefits (for which i did not know before this and just happened to come across today). I found them here: WHFoods: Black pepper
- Stimulates the taste buds, which increases hydrochloric acid secretion, thereby improving digestion. (You just thought you were producing more 'movements' because of the roughage...it's really the pepper).
- Helps prevent intestinal gas.
- Promotes sweating.
- Promotes urination.
- Has antioxidant and antibacterial effects.
- Stimulates the breakdown of fat cells. (This is the #1 reason I will continue to douse my salads with pepper).
3 comments:
Dear Mrs. Pepper,
I heard how amazing your husband pepper is and i decided i like him. He seems nice and sassy. I apologize if i offended you by making fun of him.
-sincerely
Peanut's mother.
i love pepper too!!! seriusly, i use pepper way too much, but at least i now know the health benefits! funny post!
I need to see this in action to believe it.
Post a Comment