This year, I decided to plant a small vegetable garden in our back yard. Little did I know what a HUGE under taking it would be!! Instead of borrowing a tiller, we decided to rip up the grass ourselves, with a shovel...you know...since the area was so SMALL. THAT little endeavor took an entire evening.
During that evening, we found many earthworms, and Makena LOVED playing with them. She's my little outdoors girl. I love it! She was even a big helper, loading the grass/sod into the wheel barrow to take to Daddy's truck and haul away.
Here are some pics with her and her first earthworm...not even scared a little bit...though it may look like it, but, this is her "smile" on cue:
The following evening, Luke found a nursery in the area that had a mixture of compost and topsoil that filled his ENTIRE truck bed with dirty mess. I did not get a pic of that. I wish I would've just to PROVE how much work this was. We took about 394 trips with the wheelbarrow back and forth (and it was not easy to "shovel" out!)...and b/c it was made with compost as well, it was HOT!
Here is my sweet garden which is currently growing: tomatoes, onions, okra, squash, cucumbers and green beans...and in the flower pots I've got: basil, parsley, cilantro and mint growing. MMMM!
Puh-LEASE produce SOMETHING!!!! Don't just tease me! (I HAVE already used my herbs) and I'm LOVING my summer dishes! I'll have to post some recipes soon!
I came out to a nice surprise the other day: my beans have sprouted. WOOHOO! (it was the only thing I planted from a seed..).
3 comments:
HOW FUN!!!! I want a garden sooo bad, but we don't quite have the time right now :( so sad. Yours looks great!!
Love it!!
i want a garden tOO!! and i even want a little farm with a couple of animals but enos won't have it. someday when we move back we'll have BOTH... somehow... i'll sneak in a couple of chickens. HAH :) you'll have to give me some of your DELICIOUS vegetables when i come!!
Post a Comment