Tuesday, February 24, 2009

B-day Shenanigans

Luke surprised me for my birthday. I knew he'd be taking me to Lawry's, as has been the tradition for most of my life. I'm a sucker for prime rib. My parents used to take me wherever I wanted to go on my b-day, and what do you know? My choice always seemed to involve FOOD(steak, prime rib, etc)...I fell in love with Lawry's and have gone there many times.
I told Luke I didn't want to leave Makena for long, and HAD to be back by 8 b/c I wanted to give her her last feeding and be the one to put her to bed, so we planned on a late lunch/early supper. We were eating at 5, yes i know, early...but this way, I'd for sure be back in time to put my angel to bed. I KNEW he had something ELSE brewing b/c the night before, he was talking to one of our friends on the phone, and i heard the friend say "did you get the reservations?" I would've thought NOTHING of it had Luke said, "yeah, I made the reservations to Lawrys." But, instead, b/c Luke knew I could hear the conversation, got all awkward and turned his phone down so I couldn't hear the other end and proceeded to say "Raschel's sitting right here". SO...my mind started entertaining what all it could possibly be...

AT FIRST, he told me a horrible lie. He'd made the reservations on line and originally tried telling me that he was going to have flowers sitting at our table when we got there, but decided not to b/c it was too much money. This story wasn't very likely b/c Luke knows how I feel about flowers (pretty, but i'd rather you give me money, and let me get something I REALLY want...unless it's out of the blue, and they're not expensive...flowers just die too fast! I'd MUCH rather a plant that has a chance of surviving). I digress. Plus, we've been together for a while now and I know when my Lukey is lying. His eyebrow twitches, and this time he couldn't quit smiling. LIAR. :) Finally he admitted that he DID have something else planned, but that he wasn't going to tell me until my bday (secrets are very hard for Luke though, so I figured i'd eventually break him).

He completely had me. He kept a secret...and remained calm all day. He wasn't even rushing me to get ready. OR waiting in the truck for me to come running out of the house still putting on my make up or jewelry. I should've known something was up then. Then, my parents took pictures of us to remember my bday by... (ignore my fatness, my slumped shoulders, and my stringy hair, i know, i need a hair cut).

Then, they said, "we'll take a picture of you as you get in the truck to celebrate your first 'big time' away from Makena". Again, I thought nothing of it...only that I was afraid Luke was going to get annoyed b/c he doesn't like taking pictures, but for some strange reason, he wasn't seeming frustrated. So, we walked outside, and I saw this:

(Ok, so not exactly "this", but I didn't get a "body shot" of it, sad, huh?)

He got me. I had no clue. He'd even gone to get his truck washed, and gassed up to assure confusion. Actually, at first, I thought a neighbor had parked in front of our house b/c i didn't see the limo-ness. I didn't even think anything about walking out the front door, instead of the garage door, like we normally do...i just figured we were about to take a pic outside, and it would be easier not to have to maneuver around the boat that lives in our garage.

I felt a little under-dressed for a limo, but it was fun to see weird stares from cars on the highway wondering what the heck was going on. And watching the driver try to make very tight turns, we hit many a curb on the way there.

While we at Lawry's the driver called Luke. Originally, we were supposed to just get a regular limo....b/c those are expensive enough. When he pulled up in this honker, Luke told him he had it all wrong...and the driver said, "we didn't have the regular one, so we upgraded you 'free' of charge". Apparently he accidentally grabbed the wrong limo on his way to pick us up. He was SUPPOSED to have gotten the Excursion limo instead, so he did a little switch-a-roo on us during our meal...but b/c of his mistake bought us a bottle of champagne and a disposable camera b/c my stupid battery in my camera died.

After we ate (which was DE-licious, by the way), we still had the limo for another hour and a half, and we were definitely going to use it. (Don't get dirty on me...can you IMAGINE how many people get frisky in limos...GROSS. I was really careful about where i touched. I didn't want to touch sex or pee. I'm sure many a drunk person has needed to go and instead of asking the driver to stop for them, relieved themself in the floor. ick.) Obviously it was last minute, and during normal people's dinner time, so, no one was available to ride w/ us except our babysitters (the 'rents) and our baby (whom I love and wanted to share this experience with). We loaded up, grabbed some adult beverages and told the driver we didn't care where we drove, just to drive and get us back to our house in time to have it "returned". So, we drove straight down I30, headed no where. It was fun. In the new limo, it had a fake fire place, made of tinsel and lights on a rotisserie. Makena loved the lights.

On our way back home, Luke and I needed to pee. We decided to be adult about it and stop at a gas station. But, we were in south Dallas, aka "the hood". We drove a little closer to home, and stopped in a somewhat safer area. We got to the potty. It was a unisex bathroom. Gross. Already a bad sign...I know what men do when they need to sit on a toilet, and it's not usually pretty. We tried opening the door. Locked. There was a sign that said "for paying customers only". Uh-oh...did we need a key? We'd been waiting for a bit....we asked. Nope. No key needed. So, we waited, and waited, and waited....one Amigo said "just knock on the door, it's a public bathroom, it shouldn't be locked". Luke knocked and we heard a toilet seat clang. ick. someone was in there. Luke continued to have casual conversation (trying to recruit business) from some of the amigos waiting behind us in line. FINALLY someone walks out. His eyes are bloodshot red, and he's stumbling out of the door. He sees me waiting and turns to Luke and says (in broken English) "do NOT go in there. I am a bad man. please. do not go in there." I was a little worried.

We enter. I IMMEDIATELY start dry heaving. There were 2 stalls. One that had the dirtiest poop you've ever seen scattered all about it and one that had poo and pee staring at you from the toilet. Luke told me i should pee in the drain in the floor. I chose to hover over the poop covered toilet, trying to balance myself as I'm gagging my brains out. My eyes were crying from laughing and gagging so much. It was the fastest pee of my life. We left and one of the amigos waiting behind us in line tried shaking my hand. I ignored the advance. So, he wanted to get my attention and GRABBED my arm. EEK. I shrugged him off and RAN to Luke and had him escort me the rest of the way. scary dallas.
there was no more drama the rest of the night, only love. it was lots of fun. except, i didn't get the camera i wanted...so i think i'm going to go buy it for myself with my bday money with a little pay day advance from my baby daddy. i love you Luke. Thank you for an enjoyable/memorable date! :)

2 comments:

Our life with 2 P's said...

You have the sweetest hubby! I'm so glad you had a great bday!! I LOVE the picture of the 3 of you. Makena is so sweet and cuddly :) Take care!

Lindsay said...

EWWW.. that bathroom story makes me gag just READING about it!!! i can see you gagging and laughing at the same time... i would TOTALLY be doing the same thing...nastiness... also... Makena looks so big in that last picture! aww, man... they really DO grow up fast...she just keeps getting more and more gorgeous though. :)