Friday, February 27, 2009

Messes and Successes

I'm ALWAYS looking for new recipes because I get tired of cooking the same thing over and over . I ESPECIALLY love easy recipes, but I'll try anything as long as I recognize all of the ingredients. Let me just say, that I've NEVER cooked something that was inedible, I've had some that I didn't love and wouldn't make again, but we were always able to finish them...that is, until recently. I was blog hopping and one blog had TONS of new recipes on it. I was so excited. And they were all supposed to be quick/easy meals. The particular one I tried had canned salmon (yes, I know, I should've known at this point to run far, far away from this one...) but it was a pasta dish....and had balsamic vinegar in it...one of my absolute most favorite things. Have you ever had canned salmon?! I opened it and the stench of raw fish permeated my nostrils. I accidentally dribbled some of the water it was packed in on my hand and it clung to my skin and wouldn't come off. I washed my hands MULTIPLE times. Oh...and "canned" salmon = raw. I figured it would be in w/ the 'stuff' from the pasta long enough that i would be cooked...not so. HOLY CRAP. Luke and I both took ONE bite and almost threw up (seriously). Our house was perfumed in a STENCH of raw fish. AND, it was late, i was sad I didn't have dinner, STARVING (except, sick to my stomach at the same time), and embarrassed at the horrible disaster that Luke would forever be able to rub in my face. :) I deserved it. It was plain AWFUL.

Anyway, here are a couple that I tried that are SIMPLE and are "have agains".


Chicken Angelo

4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts

1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs (who measures this?!)
12 ounces Muenster cheese, sliced (i'm lazy-i bought the pre-sliced, and it was only 8oz and it was fine, but the cheese is delicious, so i might add more next time)
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Rinse chicken breasts and pat dry. Dip chicken breasts in egg, then roll in bread crumbs to coat. Lay in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Layer cheese on top of chicken. Spread soup on top of cheese. Bake covered in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove cover and bake another 20 to 30 minutes more, until juices run clear.

...k...i did all of the above, except when i laid the chicken in the dish, I sprinkled the rest of the bread crumbs (even the chunky parts) over the chicken cuz i like bread. Then, i layered the cheese, added some salt and pepper, and added a tiny bit MORE bread crumbs. Then, after it baked and was pretty much ready to pull out, i added even MORE (just a little bit) to the top to give it a crumbly look and let it brown a little bit. It tastes almost like chicken and dressing.


Delicious, Easy Pork Chops Recipe

1. Use olive oil to coat your skillet
2. Brown and begin to cook pork chops on medium/high heat on the stove (mine were about a 1/2" thick)
3. As they are cooking sprinkle a little garlic, salt, and pepper on them. (i used Lawry's Garlic Salt, and Lawry's Garlic Pepper, on both sides of the meat)
4. Take the pork chops out of the skillet, and drain off excess oil/fat. (I left the "browned bits" but did pour the oil out).
5. Pour a can of cream of mushroom soup into the pan. Add a spoonful of sour cream and a little milk until the soup becomes creamy as desired. Let the sauce begin to simmer.
6. Once the sauce is simmering, put the pork chops back in the pan and let them simmer in the sauce for a few minutes

--the soup becomes this delicious brown gravy. YUM, YUM! It was SO easy!



Here's one of my normal, routine dishes, but it's SUPER easy.

GOOD Chicken

chicken breasts
3/4 can of beer
Zesty Italian dressing (or low fat ital is pretty good)
basil
oregano
parsley
garlic salt
Parmesan cheese (i usually just use the crumbly kind b/c i rarely have fresh)

Spray Pam in a casserole dish, lay chicken in it and sprinkle the spices over the chicken. I use a lot, b/c I like all of these spices, so usually I can't see the top of my chicken b/c of how much I've sprinkled. Put the Parmesan cheese on top of that...as much as you like. Then pour the Italian dressing around the chicken breasts...I do it until the chicken is halfway covered and then pour in the beer. I don't completely cover the chicken b/c I like for the top to get a little brown/crunchy (crunchy isn't the right word...), but if you cover it, the spices would all move around and wouldn't stay on the chicken. Cook for about 45 min - 1 hour, until the chicken is tender.

Serve over white rice. ...and spoon the yummy dressing juices over the chicken/rice. I usually make some garlic bread w/ it b/c i love dipping that in the juice also. If I have time, I let the chicken 'marinate' in the stuff during the day, but usually, I'm throwing it together last minute and 'marinating' is not a requirement...i just think it makes it more tender, but chicken breasts are already tender, so whatever. :)

Hope you enjoy! If you have any delicious recipes...send them to me! K?

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

okay.. can i just say ew? cuz yeah... EW. The idea of canned salmon makes me wanna puke... and RAW canned salmon doubly so. *shiver*... On a completely different note... HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!!! I hope you had a great one! Sorry i didn't remember it earlier.. a lot was going on over here... oh, and i'm just a bad friend. HAH Next time you think about using raw fish in a recipe... make sure it's sushi.

Jessica the Jacked LDS said...

those recipes sound good! okay for the beer chicken one, what kind of beer do you buy? i don't drink beer so i have no clue like what kind to cook with. is it like dark beer or like fancy beer or what?

try this site out. she's a friend of mine and everything on this site is YUMMY. most of it i've tasted in person from the actual maker themself.

http://www.heidi-recipes.blogspot.com/

raschel said...

haha..."fancy beer"...anything will work i'm sure, but I usually use Miller Lite (I've used Coors Light, Coors Original, Keystone...). Don't judge me. :)