Tuesday, April 7, 2009

My Little Angel

It's been a while, I know. I've been sick for 3 weeks. Yes, 3. Ridiculous. But, I'm here to ask a favor...

Will ya'll say a pray for my sweet little girl? It's hard to see her sick. I hate it. I want to take it away and make it all better. She had a rough night....actually, she slept, which is GREAT! I put her to bed early (she usually eats at about 8:30 for the last time goes to bed at about 9, but last night, her last bottle was at about 6pm, she ate cereal and some peas at 7pm, and at 8 she was SO fussy, and wouldn't take another bottle, so I laid her in her bed knowing I'd probably be getting up with her in the middle of the night). I heard her wake up at about 1am coughing a LOT...scary coughing (it's starting to turn into a wet cough), but when I went in to check on her, she was still asleep (or trying to, her eyes were closed)...so I didn't get her out of bed. She had a few more coughing spells through out the night, but didn't wake up until about 5:30, and I got her up b/c I wanted her to eat a bottle so I can make sure she doesn't get dehydrated.

She's been ok today, slightly fussy, but still has her cough...and now, on top of her nose being stopped up, it's running profusely. The only thing keeping me sane right now is knowing that I'm going back to the doctor tomorrow for what's supposed to be her wellness check up. (I took her to the Dr yesterday b/c she's had a dry cough since Thurs, but yesterday, she was refusing bottles...which is incredibley unlike her, so i wanted to rule out an ear infection...or anything else for that matter. I'm sure they thought i was nuts to bring her in, but, i know my girl and something wasn't right, of course while i was there she acted completely normal and happy and held in her coughs until we got back to the car. :) ...but i needed someone to tell me that i was doing everything i could be doing for her for now...

I don't think she ever ran a fever last night, so that's good...but her wet cough (which she just developed last night) concerns me. It's scary b/c sometimes i wonder if she's going to be able to catch her breath. I know coughing is a good thing b/c it means she's trying to clear out whatever is in her chest, and obviously, they are being somewhat productive. I read on the Internet that sometimes a wet cough (after having a dry cough for a while) can signal the ending of the sickness...so that's a good thing...but of course, there is always the scary news too on what it COULD be...and my mind always thinks about the scariest scenarios (IE hospital stays w/ RSV or pneumonia, or even more scary-CF)...I won't let myself read about other "possibilities" on the Internet b/c I know it will worry me more...and I worry enough as it is. Yesterday, the Dr said it is most likely an "upper respiratory infection", so that's all I've looked up. (although, the Internet says that's commonly mis-diagnosed and then tries to lead to other possibilities which include some of my worst fears, but like i said, I'm not letting myself read about them).

I'm sure everything is going to be fine. it's just sad knowing she doesn't feel well. It stinks that when i took her in yesterday, she was having a "good moment" and seemed perfectly healthy and they probably thought I was crazy. at least i know that as of right now, it's not her ears or throat bothering her. I do wonder if when he listened to her chest, if he thought more might be going on b/c he did say "hmmm", but didn't elaborate and after checking her completely told me he'd like to check her in a couple of days, and to keep my wellness check up b/c it would be a great time to check her progress. Obviously he noticed SOMETHING if he said that he'd like to check her again...SO...the only reason I'm not going crazy right now is b/c i know that I'm seeing him tomorrow, and he can tell me whether these symptoms should be alarming or not. i THINK he told me that he'd be concerned if she had a wet cough w/ a high fever. i don't think i remember him saying just a wet cough.

she's been resting a lot today, and I'm happy about that b/c i know that sleep will make her feel better. when she's awake, she's my happy baby, but just coughs occasionally, especially if she's active (like in her bouncer, which she still loves)....and of course, gets tired quickly, but who doesn't when you're sick? i just need a peace about it b/c I'm worrying myself sick over it (at times...luckily, it's not a constant worry b/c I talk myself into knowing that everything is going to be ok, and knowing that everyone gets sick, and that this is actually a good thing b/c in the end, it will make her immune system stronger).

plus, I'm still sick. if I'm still stuffy after M's appointment tomorrow, and everything w/ her checks out ok, I'll probably try to go the doctor myself to see if there's anything prescription strength i can take to rid myself of this. i feel guilty b/c I'm SURE i gave her this cold... :-/ ..but there's not a much a mom can do to not get her baby sick when they're so young...i guess i should've washed my hands more... oh well.

anyway, sorry so long and rambling...i'll keep ya'll updated...the appointment tomorrow is at 11:15, so at least i don't have to wait all day. :) Thanks for your thoughts and prayers!!

What's a post without a picture or 2?
Being sick is no fun! I hung out on the couch a lot today.


I love my sleeping baby. Quit waking her up stupid coughs!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know your symptoms but Emergen-C always helps its in the vitamin section at most grocery/drug stores. Also Mucinex if its congestion stuff. It's a decongestant (I would just ask her pedi tomorrow if it's okay for you to take it). Other than that lots of water and rest. Those things will help Makena too, via your milk. Good luck!

Allison said...

does she sleep with a vaporizer in her room at night? noah does when he has a little cold and i swear the thing helps him sleep better. you might want to try that. praying for you and your little one!

Our life with 2 P's said...

Poor Makena. Please keep me posted on her. We're praying that she gets back to feeling like her ol' self in no time. Hang in there mama :) It's so hard and sad seeing your sweet, innocent child sick- there's no heartache like it. A humidifier also helps clear the air and helps them be able to breath, as does a vaporizer :)

Jessica the Jacked LDS said...

oh my gosh raschel....i hate sick babies, it's so hard. i will def have u in my prayers for her to get well. thats so hard to see them sick. i wanna hug her AND you...i know u must be feeling so sad too.

Lindsay said...

gosh i love her... she's so precious and beautiful.