Friday, May 2, 2008

"You May Want to Check that Glass for Lipstick"

Recently, I ate at la Madeline's. I love the place, but it's so expensive, so it's a treat when I go. I always get a coffee with my meal (decaf recently, don't freak) and remember the little French Bistros that serve coffee in even SMALLER cups. Luckily, here, I get multiple free refills. My mother and I were sorting through the coffee cups because we kept finding ones with coffee stains in them. Not permanent stains, but the kind of stain from letting coffee sit in the mug all day, with out any water, and then throw it in the dishwasher hoping it will come off. As we get to the front of the line, we also grab a water glass. The cashier lady quickly warned us to examine our glasses for lipstick and then showed us the assortment of glasses she'd collected on the tray sitting next to her that "all had lipstick on them" and that she'd "warned every one to check their glasses as they come through because she always collects several". While I really appreciate her honesty, because I have enough germophobia traits, especially at restaurants, it completely disgusted me. I thought these places were supposed to have high powered dishwashers, with high heat, to remove ALL germs. (At least, this is what I tell myself). Luckily, our 2 cups did not have lipstick on them, but it still made me wonder, what germs were crawling beneath the surface of my cup that I just couldn't SEE. I tried to wipe of the rim of the glass before adding anything to it, and I DEFINITELY got a straw to avoid sucking face with some unknown stranger. I'm going to get back to my germophobia traits in a minute, probably in another post...but the rest of my trip to Le Madeline's went as followed.

As we walk to the drink area, there was no decaf to be found, so I politely asked the cashier when the decaf coffee would be ready. She slapped her forehead (seriously) and said "I keep forgetting to bring that out here". So she rushed to get it, and then brought it out and placed it on its stand. She couldn't figure out why the light wasn't turning on (the light that indicates that it is keeping it warm - and that wasn't on with any of the OTHER coffee's either). I HAVE always wondered what that light meant, but never knew until she was SHOVING each coffee receptacle and obviously felt uncomfortable b/c I probably had a questionable look on my face wondering what the heck she was doing. She proceeded to test each coffee by letting a little spill out in the little bowl used to catch drips as she let it run over her finger to see if they were still hot. It was at this point I realized this girl couldn't possibly be "all there"...because the coffee was obviously still hot - i mean, you could see the steam coming out of the nozzle when some was released. And who are we kidding, freshly brewed coffee, even NOT on a burner, is going to stay pretty warm for a while...nerd. So she jumped around shaking her finger talking about how hot the coffees were for us, like we asked her to test each one. (Bearing in mind we had no clue what the little lights even meant!) I assume she ran off to tend to her burnt fingers, because as we got to the half and half there was hardly any left in the little carafe. So, I looked around and waited obviously wanting to ask someone for something, as the manager stood there dumbly looking around, in his own little world. I have those days too, so I sort of understand that MAYBE he didn't understand what I said as I asked him a question to bring him back to reality. I simply said, "Sir, when you get a chance, could you please refill the half and half?" He looked at me so dumbfounded-ly and said "yes". Not, "Oh yes ma'am! I'm sorry, could I bring you some once it is full" or anything remotely polite. Oh well. Like i said, maybe he was in his own little world and hadn't completely processed everything that I said. And maybe that's why this place was so horrid that day.

We proceeded to our table, off in a cozy room with only one other family, as opposed to the other rooms that were a bit more noisy because they tend to draw the larger crowds. I was trying to have a civilized conversation with my mother as we enjoyed our coffee and salads. A baby, maybe 2 years old was SCREAMING at the top of her lungs for attention while her mother and grandmother sat there involved in conversation about the younger mother's upcoming wedding and did absolutely nothing, clearly, her wedding drama was much more important (actually, it was very stupid). And yes, I am a nosey person, and often can over hear every bit of a table's conversation (I'm really pretty good, i can often listen to 2 conversations at once - mine and theirs) However, I had no problem listening to their conversation because they were SHOUTING it over the screaming child. Since I am expecting, I try my best to not look at parents of crying children, because I know that one day soon that will be me. I HATE awkward attention on myself, and I know it's just one of those things you can't help, especially for a simple cry that the parents cannot avoid, especially from an infant. Even a toddler pitching a fit, I know is often unavoidable, but there are definitely ways you can shut them up instead of being a selfish fool and ignoring them like you probably do at home (which is probably why the child was acting this way in the first place). I really am very good about not trying to cause MORE attention to direct their way, because I know how they must be feeling. But this child....oh my...she was old enough to talk, so she was screaming words and trying to talk to her mother and grandmother. She wanted to be included in the conversation. She was getting frustrated that she wasn't getting any attention. I could see that...but that dang adults did NOTHING. They never ONCE tried saying "Baby, shh!! Mommy's right here" or even replying to her picture she'd colored and proudly waved because she wanted someone to say "aww, sweetie, that's really pretty, good job!!". I was about to pull my hair out. But they finally left.

Because of the coffee, and who are we kidding my ever shrinking bladder, I had to take a visit to their restroom. Dis-gus-TING! Toilet paper strewn about the floors. One stall had toilet paper all over the rim and dangling out, so i opted for the smaller stall with minimal paper (on the floor and on the roll, apparently), and definitely one where I didn't have to touch someone else's sat on toilet paper. The stall, i swear, was made for a child. it was one of those where you practically have to straddle the toilet in order to open/shut the stall door. After finishing, I RAN to the sink to rid my hands of any possible germs. No soap. Minimal paper towels that all looked molested. HORRID.

Let's just say, this experience was not a pleasant one. I enjoyed MY company and really did have fun talking...but OH MY the stories that came with this little visit...I think it will be a while before I go back.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

oh my GOSH... that is DISGUSTING!!! what an annoying visit. I can relate to ALL of your comments especially the crying baby ones because i want a baby too so i try to be kind. BUT HONESTLY... shut that KID UP!!!! do SOMETHING. wow. I'm all hot inside now... thanks. haha.