This is way too long…but I wanted to remember each detail for later…so this is more my recollection of it ALL, so I can share it with Makena someday….and remind myself what happened the next time I do this.
It all started on Monday, October 6th… I just knew because of the rain that the drop in barometric pressure might set things off. (I know that’s an old wives tale…but I swear it helped). Luke was playing in a golf tourney in Fort Worth, and I was a little concerned because that’s quite a ways from our house. I was cramping more heavily this day…I’d been cramping for a few days before, and having lots of Braxton hicks contractions. Then, I started noticing the contractions feeling like more severe menstrual cramps, but they were very sporadic, so I really didn’t think much of it. What I DID think about was what all I needed to get done before the baby arrived. Now, looking back, obviously it was the “nesting” instinct, but I was too afraid to admit it at the time - but even after thinking about it that evening, I wondered if labor might be imminent. On Monday, I dusted the entire house, vacuumed all the floors, swept the tile, mopped, shampooed the carpets, finished all the laundry – AND folded it, cleaned all the dirty dishes, vacuumed the dog hair off the couches and took one of my dogs to the vet to get his shots. Looking back, it makes me exhausted thinking about it all…but that day, I had endless energy – and usually on a given day (especially towards the end), I might do one or two of the tasks mentioned.
Tuesday, I woke up during the middle of the night feeling the cramping again. But, I still wasn’t sure what I was feeling because my Dr’s partner assured me I’d know I was going into labor when I was having severe pain that I wouldn’t even consider taking Tylenol to dull the pain…so, I kept that in mind.
I woke up feeling like I was about to start my period – I usually have pretty bad cramps. So…I got up extra early b/c I started worrying and wondering if I should be timing these “cramps” I was feeling, or if I should be concerned. Luckily, I had my 39 week check up that morning, so I was glad to be able to go in and ask the doctor if what I was feeling was ok. The cramps started coming at regular intervals – but I didn’t want to cry wolf and call Luke and tell him to get his behind home if it wasn’t the real thing. I mean, I’ve never been in this position before, I just knew I hadn’t felt what I was feeling. I lasted until 7 am and called him. I told him I’d just really like for him to come home from work to take me to the doctor appointment, and if she said it wasn’t anything, then he could go back to work…but I was concerned there might be a problem and wanted him to be with me just in case. He came home – he was nervous and excited and kept asking me to tell him when I was having the ‘cramps’. It was hard to know exactly how to time what I was feeling, but I was pretty sure I was having real contractions and not Braxton Hicks ones any more. I had all the bags packed and had Luke go ahead and load it all in the car for just in case. We went to the doctor’s office, and I thought the contractions were getting a little more intense – but sometimes my cramps do that too…so AGAIN mass confusion. When the doctor checked me, a LITTLE progress had been made. I was dilated to a 2 or 2.5, and about 75% effaced, so whatever was happening to me was doing SOMETHING. The doctor told me, especially w/ a first baby, that it was possible that these contractions might stop later that day and resume again tomorrow, and could go on like this for 10 days (holy cow). Then she said BUT….it’s possible that you may be calling us today at 4 o’clock saying you’re in labor SO, I suggest you go eat a nice big lunch because it may be your last meal for a while and you’re going to need your energy. I found out that my doctor was luckily on call all week b/c the partner was out of town, so if I was having the baby this week, she’d be delivering it. I was happy about that.
We went to eat at Luby’s. Yum. And I kept having contractions throughout our lunch, and they were getting more and more intense. We got in the car, and were trying to decide where to go – did we want to get back closer to Baylor in case this was the real thing? I made my decision. I needed to poop, BAD (like I’d been doing all morning). I HATE pooping in public bathrooms and needed my privacy. So, yes, we drove all the way back home, just so I could go. It was explosive. (Too graphic?) ha…but they say that your body will try to naturally clean itself out during labor, so I wondered if that was what was happening. Then I decided I was going to lie down for just a few minutes and see if the contractions would stop – if they were “real”. I felt like they were coming closer together, but, again, was unsure since I’ve never been there before…and the doctor reminded us about 5-1-1 (every 5 minutes lasting a minute for one hour)…and that wasn’t happening yet…at least not for an hour. I laid down. I had a HUGE contraction and felt a couple “pops”. Thank GOSH I’d gone to the bathroom right before this, or I would’ve thought I’d peed myself through the pain, but I just KNEW my water had broken. I motioned for Luke to get up and get the dogs put up b/c we were going to the hospital. Then, I walked to the car and realized the fluid was leaking, so I felt confident that’s what had happened. Luke called the doctor for me while we were in the car b/c contractions were suddenly coming ever 2-3 minutes. I was DYING. I was so afraid I was going to have the baby in the car. I got on the phone w/ the nurse at the Dr’s office and she said it sounded like my water did break and to go to triage. I was FREAKING out the entire car ride. Luke was driving like a mad man w/ our hazards flashing and honking at people trying to make them get over. I was screaming in pain. I called my mom to tell her we were on the way to the hospital…and I think it helped as a distraction from the driving chaos. The bumps made each contraction worse. My mom would try to talk to me between contractions and make sure I’d breath when I stopped talking b/c she knew it was a contraction. Finally, we made it to triage. Luke ran in as fast as he could to make sure we were in the right place and to get me a wheel chair.
Drama starts here…
This old woman comes out like a freaking turtle asking me if I’m having contractions while I’m SCREAMING. What the heck do you think woman? At our prepared child birth class, they told us we could park under the admission area so husbands can help get their wives checked in. This old bia told Luke to go park the car, but I was in so much pain, at that point I couldn’t argue. Then she wheeled me into triage and tells me to get up out of the wheel chair to sit in one of their chairs…FINE…if you want fluid all over it. I could’ve cared less. I sat. Then she brought me a stack of paperwork to fill out (the part that my husband could’ve done for me…but she sent him to park instead). I looked for each line that said “sign here” and signed. I had no clue what I was really signing. I was in PAIN. Luke got there and finished filling out the paperwork for me and was pissed that they’d think a woman in that situation could possibly have the mind to fill this out. Was the old hag waiting around to help me back to triage? Heck no. Luke went to find her and said, “she’s finished”. I had to WALK back there…OH THE PAIN. She SLOWLY got me a gown to change into and told me to lay in the bed when I was finished. I was out of my clothes and into the gown in no time. I wanted an EPIDURAL. I laid there. Luke said, SHE’S FINISHED. Seriously? How long do you think it’s going to take me to get undressed?? Then, she came in and asked the same dad gum questions I’ve answered a million times – why these were necessary right now, I have no CLUE. Then she’d ask me during a contraction (and she can tell at this point when I’m having them b/c I’m hooked up to a monitor) and she actually thinks I’m going to pay attention to what she’s saying. Luckily, Luke could answer mostly for me and I’d just nod. Then, she says she’s going to test the fluid coming out of me to see if it’s amniotic fluid. It took her forever to rub whatever swab she had around, but sure enough it was (obviously). After that, she says, “I need to check your cervix for dilation”…fine w/ me…do whatever you have to do. I spread ‘em. She is DIGGING in me during SEVERE contractions…and says “did your doctor say your cervix was posterior (or some medical term) today at your appointment?” I SCREAMED, “I HAVE NO CLUE – I DON”T ASK HER MEDICAL QUESTIONS!” She calls another nurse in b/c she “can’t find it and thinks I’m ‘posterior’”. The other nurse, whom I loved, came in and IMMEDIATELY found it and said I was dilated to a 4.5 and 100% effaced. Then the old hag asks, “was she posterior”…who freaking cares at this point, right? But the nice nurse says, “nope, I found it right away”. STUPID OLD WOMAN. I HATED her at this point. I asked when people normally get an epidural, and the nice nurse says, “right now”. Holy crap…hurry up…I want it NOW. Then the old hag says, “well, we have to get you to L&D and then you have to have an IV bag of fluid before you can have it and it’ll take 30 to 45 minutes.” I’m worried. I hear the nice nurse making a phone call to my doctor telling them how far along I am and that I’m being admitted, etc, etc. I knew this baby was coming. Then the old hag asks me if I want to walk to L&D or ride in a wheel chair. WHAT THE HECK DO YOU THINK? My butt is showing in my gown and I have fluid dripping out of me – of COURSE I want a wheel chair. She gets back with one – and asks Luke to push me because she’s “got a bum back”. I HATED HER. I wish I could remember what all I said to her – I actually think I was WAY nicer than I wanted to be.
I get to the room and get hooked up to the fluid bag. My nurse in there was so amazing. SUCH a breath of fresh air. She reassured me that she’d called the anesthesiologist and that there was no way it was going to take 30-45 minutes like the old hag said. A resident doctor came in the room. I thought it was one of the staff OBGYNs, so I was trying to be nice in case she was going to have to deliver my baby. She was asking me the most RETARDED questions, questions I’d JUST answered to the old hag, but again, I didn’t bark at her in case I was stuck w/ her. My nurse rolled her eyes at the woman doctor, and I liked that she was telling me that she was annoyed at her also. The doctor left, she’s a family medicine doctor on a rotation…WHY do you come in my room BEFORE my epidural? I hate you. Finally, “The man” (anesthesiologist) comes in. I love him. The nurse explained to me what I’d be feeling as he was doing it. She asked me if I wanted her to explain what was going on, and I wasn’t sure…I didn’t want her to say “and here comes the huge needle”…but it wasn’t like that at all. She just explained that he was wiping soap on my back, that it would be cold, that he was going to give me a shot to numb the area – at the child birth class, they explained it as a bee sting, which was NOT appealing to me, and I’m telling you, it was NOTHING like a bee sting…maybe a slight pinch if anything….I was just praying the whole time that my contractions would stop while he was working. Anyway, she guided me through it. I felt relief almost immediately. I was so happy. Luke asked the nurse if I was loopy b/c I was being weird. Haha! Nope, I’m just not in pain anymore. I loved that man and kept telling him over and over. I have no clue how much that’s going to cost, but it was worth every penny.
The scary part…
My nurse comes in and tells me she’s going to roll me over on my side. I didn’t think anything of it b/c they usually tell you to lay on your side while you sleep anyway, to avoid the vein – so I figured that was why. She rolled me. Another nurse came in…they rolled me to the other side. A staff OBGYN came in and said, “we’re going to give you some oxygen while your body adjusts to the epidural”. I STILL thought nothing of it. Then 3 more doctors came in and they were all whispering. Now, I KNOW something’s wrong. They were looking at the monitors…apparently I was having one contraction on top of the other, my blood pressure dropped, and that caused the baby’s heart rate to drop. I started crying. I want my baby to be ok!! I realized, I’ve got to calm down b/c whatever I was doing was going to affect the baby. I tried to concentrate on breathing the oxygen. They put an electrode on Makena’s head to get her heart beat and finally, they found it. Phew. A breath of fresh air. I started to relax as one by one, the doctors leave the room. By this point I was dilated to 6.5…and this is RIGHT after the epidural..so it hadn’t slowed things down as I’d heard it could. I laid there for maybe 30 minutes, if that long, and my doctor got there. (if you recall, I really hadn’t had a pleasant experience with her previously, but she was AMAZING throughout this delivery) . She checks me and says, “we’re ready to push”. SERIOUSLY? Holy cow. Luke was amazing throughout the process. Everyone was so encouraging. They kept making me feel good saying “don’t tell your friends how quickly you progressed, they’ll be jealous”. Haha. I was happy. They told me I’d probably be pushing at least 2 hours. I decided I wanted to use a mirror b/c they kept saying “I see the head!!” It was more motivation once I could see what was going on. It wasn’t nearly as bloody as I thought it would be. I kept telling them I didn’t want to poop and was afraid to push hard. They were so sweet about it, saying, if you poop, you’re doing it right, and IF it even happens, it’ll be cleaned up so fast you won’t even know it. At least I’d warned them. Ha! No, seriously, they say I didn’t poop, but Luke said I did squirt pee. I asked them if they thought I was going to rip bad and she said she didn't think so, if at all and kept bragging about my “strong perineum” …again, keep the complements coming…just more motivation. Haha! j/k. (I DID rip a bit - and my lips were swollen for like 4 days looking like man balls and it hurt like balls to pee because the saltiness would get to the cut, but that's beside the point). Anyway, I pushed for 1 hr 15 minutes total. It was weird, I always envisioned pushing in stirrups the entire time. I pushed for the majority of the time with Luke and the nurse holding my legs and me pulling myself to push. Then, when the baby’s head had crowned, they put the stirrups in, the doctor got all dressed in a cover suit, and I got excited. I pushed SO HARD. One push, the head was out, the last push, her body, and then I hear suctioning and her sweet cry. It was the most perfect thing I’d ever heard. They laid her on my chest. I didn’t care how bloody she was. I wanted to hold her. We loved her immediately. I even kissed her goo. (They had wiped SOME of it off, but she wasn’t going to be bathed for several hours and I couldn’t wait). The first question I asked the nurse was “is it for sure a girl?”. It was (obviously). Our baby girl was HERE. I couldn’t believe it. And now…she’s already a week and a day old. I can’t believe time is going so fast!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I am so happy that things went so well for you!! What a wonderful story you have for you baby girl. Congratulations again!!
:) That story just scared the crap out of me...I think I'll wait a while longer for babies! BUT, I'm so happy for y'all and your healthy baby!:)
the ballsy lips brings back memories. dont u feel wierd when u still have epidural in u so its numb down there but when u touch down there it feels like balls too? wierdness...
i cried at the end of ur story because miah is watching transformers so there was uplifting background musiv as i read. very tender :)
ps...i poo'd with my first and like the nurse said, u wouldnt even know it. austin told me weeks later, how embarrassing is that?
oh my gosh...this story was so good but stressful... i just keep picturing myself going through this in a few months and it makes me wanna puke with nervousness.... and i've decided if i get a nurse like your stupid one... i'm gonna complain and make someone else come do all her stuff... i mean, honestly, what GOOD did she do? (anger inside). Way to go Raschel... i'm proud of you... and worried for myself. eeek. :/
ps...i'm comin to tejas in november. i wanna hold ur baby loser. u better let me cuz she'll be all old and have strong immunities or something like that.
Wow what a great birthing story. I just remember you as a little softball girl pitching for us and doing a wonderful job. We are so happy for you both. Please come and visit us in November when the Lowe family are here. David George
That was such a great story! I learned so many things from it.. I am scared.. hhaa I love how honest you are about it!!! Its all the things you never hear, but know are happening!!! So happy she is doing good!!
Post a Comment