I told ya’ll about the doctor thinking she had acid reflux and prescribing her medication. It worried me that he wanted to put her on something so early in her little life, but who am I to judge? I’m a first time mom that really doesn’t have a clue what’s going on, and I’m just going with the flow. The first night we gave it to her, she was OUT – she wouldn’t wake up, even to eat. We have some friends whose child is on the medicine also and they remembered their baby being tired after the first couple of doses, so that made me feel better. I just figured she had to get adjusted to the medicine. She was constantly fussy. Even after she ate, which really concerned me because I figured she’d be satisfied and ready to nap after her belly was full, so I knew something wasn’t right. We went to the doctor on Tuesday for her 2 week check up and she had LOST weight. She weighed less than when we went home from the hospital. I panicked. I was alone at the doctor’s office with tears streaming down my face. I felt like it was my fault, but I thought I’d been doing everything I could to feed her and to try to keep her awake while she was supposed to be eating. (I tried everything from taking her clothes off, to blowing in her face, to using ice or cold water on her feet to try to wake her up, and nothing would work and she was sleeping ALL the time---but as far as I knew, newborns are SUPPOSED to sleep). It was a depressing day to say the least. The doctor was VERY concerned about her (it scared me to death to see the look on his face) and told me I needed to supplement with formula to try to get her weight up. I cried more. I felt like he was saying it was me – he tried reassuring me that it was Makena, that some babies are lazy eaters and would rather snack every 2 or 3 minutes and nap for 5 or 10 and then snack more. SO…I kept boobing, but on TOP of that, I would pump, feed her anything that pumped out, and then offer her formula. I even let Luke feed her once, which he loved. Here’s a pic.
It was REALLY hard for me to let him feed her. I know it is a completely prideful thing to say, but that was supposed to be “my job”…that no one else could do…my bond with her. But, I'm glad her daddy got to experience something so rewarding. Luckily, we had no problem giving her the bottle. She did gag at first, which was hilarious, but she enjoyed the quick flow into her mouth and didn’t really have to “work” for it.
At the appointment on Tuesday, I also told him I didn’t think the Axid was working because she was still super fussy. The doctor told me to increase her Axid (even though she’d lost weight?!). I was in a state of confusion and sinking into depressed mode and really wasn’t thinking clearly at the time to ask more questions. After I got home from the appointment and sat on the couch feeding her, thinking about everything that had gone on that day, I became convinced that the Axid was making her so tired that she wouldn’t eat. She was gaining weight perfectly fine before we started her on it, and I didn’t completely understand why we would increase it when I didn’t think it was working. I would rather deal with her being fussy, if it really was reflux, for a couple of days and try without the medicine than to increase it and drug her more. SO…I called them and the doctor agreed to let me take her off the medicine. It’s like I have a new baby! She’s so alert and happy. I love it. I took her back in today to get her weight checked and she gained 8 oz’s in 2 days and he would’ve been happy w/ her gaining ½ oz everyday so this was really good news. I was/am elated. I finally have a healthy baby! He told me I could start weaning her off the formula since she responded so well. Finally, I feel like all the hard work in trying to get her to eat paid off and she’s doing exceptionally well. (Part of me wonders if the scale was “off” on Tuesday, b/c 8 oz’s is a crap load, but I had them check her weight on 2 different scales today to make sure she really was weighing in at 7 lbs 8.5 oz’s…and sure enough she does!) So..even IF the scale happened to be off on Tuesday, at least now I don’t have a drugged baby so some good came of the “scare”.
I love this baby girl. I’m so happy!!!!! (her eyes are a little red in this picture...she had crusty eyes the day before - i'm pretty sure from all the crying she did during the newborn screening which i hated watching...but they are MUCH better now). i love this little outfit...it's so soft, and warm and cozy - of COURSE, since it was below 70 today, we had to pull out the warm clothes! :) Thank you Aunt Kristen and Uncle Garrett, we love our outfit!
At the appointment on Tuesday, I also told him I didn’t think the Axid was working because she was still super fussy. The doctor told me to increase her Axid (even though she’d lost weight?!). I was in a state of confusion and sinking into depressed mode and really wasn’t thinking clearly at the time to ask more questions. After I got home from the appointment and sat on the couch feeding her, thinking about everything that had gone on that day, I became convinced that the Axid was making her so tired that she wouldn’t eat. She was gaining weight perfectly fine before we started her on it, and I didn’t completely understand why we would increase it when I didn’t think it was working. I would rather deal with her being fussy, if it really was reflux, for a couple of days and try without the medicine than to increase it and drug her more. SO…I called them and the doctor agreed to let me take her off the medicine. It’s like I have a new baby! She’s so alert and happy. I love it. I took her back in today to get her weight checked and she gained 8 oz’s in 2 days and he would’ve been happy w/ her gaining ½ oz everyday so this was really good news. I was/am elated. I finally have a healthy baby! He told me I could start weaning her off the formula since she responded so well. Finally, I feel like all the hard work in trying to get her to eat paid off and she’s doing exceptionally well. (Part of me wonders if the scale was “off” on Tuesday, b/c 8 oz’s is a crap load, but I had them check her weight on 2 different scales today to make sure she really was weighing in at 7 lbs 8.5 oz’s…and sure enough she does!) So..even IF the scale happened to be off on Tuesday, at least now I don’t have a drugged baby so some good came of the “scare”.
I love this baby girl. I’m so happy!!!!! (her eyes are a little red in this picture...she had crusty eyes the day before - i'm pretty sure from all the crying she did during the newborn screening which i hated watching...but they are MUCH better now). i love this little outfit...it's so soft, and warm and cozy - of COURSE, since it was below 70 today, we had to pull out the warm clothes! :) Thank you Aunt Kristen and Uncle Garrett, we love our outfit!
3 comments:
look at u all new at the mothering job but playing it like it's old hat. that motherly instinct is a powerful one isn't it? i think i'd be lost without it, and my kids too!!
Raschel thank you for sharing your experiences with us. Your doing a fabulous job!!
nice job mom. You knew what was right for your baby and you went with it. That's a lesson i'm gonna take with me from this story. Sorry you were all worried. Glad she's doin' great!!
Post a Comment