Friday, November 12, 2010

Makena's Birthday Celebration

I can't believe my little Monkey Leigh is 2 (and the poor girl has more nicknames than I can really count. I think I come up with a new one almost monthly--I wonder if Mr. Little Man will have multiple names, or if it's an "honor" that your first receives? We shall see.) Currently when I ask her to say her name she replies with "K" (because that's ONE of the numerous names I call her. I'm confusing the poor girl!). Gosh, I love her.

My big girl is growing so stinking fast. She says new words daily, and her enunciation is becoming better and better. And to think, I was recently concerned about her not seeming like she was talking very much. She proved me wrong, and showed me that she was just taking it ALL in and was soon going to open up a whole new chapter in life--conversations. Right now, she has the sweetest little manners saying "Peeese" (please) and "Da go" (thank you), "You wecome" (you're welcome) and "Sowy Momma" (sorry)...even when I'M the one that has accidentally done something wrong (like step on her toe with my enlarging body). I love that when she's hurt herself in some way she immediately pops up and asks for a kiss on the boo boo, and usually that makes it ALL better. PRECIOUS. She LOVES seeing and talking to people at stores--as long as they don't come too close. When we pass them she says "HI!" And if they're nice enough to say "HI" back, she says "What are you doing?" (except, it's obviously not as clear to them as it is to me because they always look at me puzzled, waiting for a translation, and since she asks me this question about a BILLION times a day, I definitely have that phrase in my memory bank). :) She reminds us to say a prayer nightly as we put her to bed. And, at dinner, has recently been asking for us to lead HER in praying. Can I just tell you that my heart MELTS as I see my little girl learning to talk to her Heavenly Father?! And, being bestowed with this responsibility of attempting to teach her is SUCH an honor! These past couple of weeks she says "Momma/Daddy, K say prayer?" And she LIGHTS up and is SO pleased with herself that she wants to say MULTIPLE prayers at dinner--who cares that it probably takes an additional 30 minutes to finish, and that our food is constantly cold, because who is going to say "NO" when your child asks if you'll help lead her in saying a prayer? Such sweet memories. I see her copying things we say all the time like: "watch your fingers" or "careful, don't fall" and it makes me beam knowing that WE are primarily responsible for raising and teaching this sweet girl. What a sweet blessing. I'm so proud to be this girl's mommy and I NEVER EVER want to take the "little things" for granted. These 2 years have FLOWN by, I can only imagine what the next several will be like as schedules become busier. I'm treasuring the time she wants to spend with us because I know it won't be long until it's not "cool" to want to hang out/play with your mommy and daddy.

Makena LOVES Barney, so this year, I thought it fitting to have a Barney themed party (before she outgrows him). We still haven't branched into having "friend" parties yet. I feel like she's too young to really understand and enjoy it, so I choose to spend that money other ways (or, rather, SAVE) for now! :) So, I hope you friends out there don't get your feelings hurt--it's not that you weren't invited, it's that we're only doing family parties for the first couple of years.

My big girl trying to figure out if she wants the hat or not:

"Smile? What's going on Momma?" 

Seriously NOT sure about all of this attention. 

A TON of Presents! And, somehow my camera setting got changed, and all of the pics of her opening gifts were blurry.



Balloons were a hit! Playing with her cousin: 


Makena's "big present" from Mommy and Daddy was a bike.
I'll NEVER forget her excitement when she realized it was hers!  




Seriously, the past 2 years, my eyes have FILLED with tears when we sing happy birthday.  

She blew the candles out by herself!  



Happy Birthday to our big 2 year old!

2 comments:

Crystal Corona said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVED your posts! I need to make a few myself soon> I dont think I have posted anything in over a month! Opps..

Anonymous said...

Love it! Such a beautiful family with so many blessings! Can't believe how the time has flown by! :)